Kwashiorkor or swollen malnutrition:
In this disease, the weight of the baby is 60-70% of its healthy weight, or the weight point of the baby in the growth chart falls in the boundaries of the 2nd and 3rd lines, but in the disease, there must be shit or water. Although swollen malnutrition can occur at any age, it is more common in children aged 1 to 3 years.
This disease occurs when the amount of protein in the diet is low. If there is not enough fish, meat, eggs, milk, pulses in the food, protein is deficient. From the age of 6 months, the amount of protein that a baby gets from breast milk is much less than it needs and decreases as the baby gets older. In most cases, mothers unknowingly give their children complementary foods at this time.
Diets are high in sugar and have very little or no protein. As a result, the child becomes infected with Kwashiorkor
. In this disease, although the muscles of the body become dry, there is swelling on the body and some fat under the skin, the child does not show condition but shows high weight. Many parents are happy.
Symptom & Sign
- Named water on the body or feet. The face is swollen and full moon-shaped
- The hair becomes dry and uneven, the color of the hair changes
- The hair grows straight. It is fragile and does not hurt when removed.
- There are various types of rashes and infections on the skin.
- There are sores on the tongue and lips.
- The baby feels sleepy, tired, etc.
- There may be loss of appetite and nausea.
- There is anemia.
- Lack of vitamin-A causes eye changes and lack of vitamin-C reasons scurvy
- Mental changes can be seen, and intelligence is reduced.
- Often run away with stomach ailments.
- Dehydration, electro-light imbalance, low body temperature, low blood glucose, severe anemia, and severe infections can lead to death. Therefore, all these problems should be treated as soon as possible. If all these difficulties are seen, the diseased person should be sent to the hospital immediately.
- Children with malnutrition should be given plenty of energy and non-vegetarian food. It is better to have fish, meat, milk, and eggs in the diet. In a puffy disease, chicken is most needed.
- Oil must be added to baby food when cooking.
- The baby should be fed a small amount repeatedly. Six children are usually given soybean oil and sugar mixed in 30 ml of milk per teaspoon of powdered milk in the hospital.
- In case of deficiency of vitamins and minerals, an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals will be available.
- The baby needs to be weighed every day to assess his health.
- Parents need to give knowledge about baby food preparation methods, nutrition, etc.
- The baby needs to be monitored for growth, and the growth chart needs to be used properly.